Winter Sports Update
Members of the McQuaid Jesuit Community:
With the winter athletics season underway, please know that the health and safety of our student-athletes remains our number one priority. We will be following the mandates from the New York State Governor’s Office, the New York State Department of Health, the Monroe County Department of Public Health, as well as the recommendations of the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) and the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA). Relying on documents from those sources, as well as feedback from medical experts, we have developed protocols, guidelines, and conditions for participation in the Winter season.
The following conditions and policies are in place to safely balance the need for these high-risk extracurricular activities with our commitment to providing a safe and healthy learning environment.
- During the winter season, McQuaid Jesuit will proceed with teams for the following sports: alpine skiing, basketball, bowling, ice hockey, indoor track, swimming & diving, and wrestling. Right now, we will offer these sports at the modified, freshman, J.V., and varsity levels.
- Student-athletes must fully comply with all McQuaid Jesuit COVID-19 protocols as well as any guidelines specific to their sport. As a reminder, masks are non-negotiable. All student-athletes must wear a mask, at all times, when participating in indoor athletic activities.
- As a condition of participation in these winter sports, student-athletes will have to consent to be included in our COVID-19 rapid testing program, which we will conduct as part of our commitment to full-time, in-person instruction.
- In the event there are two or more concurrent positive tests or active cases of COVID-19 on a team roster within a 3 day span, that individual team will automatically undergo a 72-hour “pause” of contact activities to prevent any additional spread, conduct contact tracing, and assess a resumption of practice and competition. Please note that any games canceled because of the pause may not be rescheduled.
- In the event of a 72-hour “pause,” all team members will undergo rapid COVID-19 testing at school. All team members, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to test daily on school days until all the remaining members test negative. Please note that any team members who experience symptoms during this 72-hour pause should stay at home, not attend any school events or activities, and contact your primary care provider or other appropriate health-care professional.
- At this time, spectators for outdoor and indoor on-campus athletic contests will not be limited.
- If your son has tested positive for COVID-19, he must receive a cardiac clearance from his pediatrician or primary care physician, as well as complete the RTP protocol through the school athletic trainer prior to participation in any athletic activities.
Please know that we must find a balance between allowing these extra-curricular activities as well as our commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of our families and our commitment to in-person learning five days a week. McQuaid Jesuit asks that we all try and do our part to curb the spread of disease, including wearing a mask and adhering to proper hygienic protocols. Please understand that these protocols, guidelines, and conditions to participation will be subject to update and review as we gain additional medical and scientific, including any directives from our local department of health. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the athletic department directly.
Jonathon Matt, ’02