A state-approved Driver Education course is offered at McQuaid Jesuit three times a year. Registration is open to anyone age 16 or older with a valid learner’s permit. The cost for the course is $520. Successful completion of the course will result in students receiving the MV-285 Certificate of Completion certificate issued by the State of New York Education Department.
Students must meet the following criteria to enroll in the class:
- Currently enrolled in a high school
- Sixteen years old by the start of the session
- Permission from parent or guardian (signed Confirmation Letter brought to first class)
- Learner’s Permit or Operator’s License (brought to first class)
- Commit to 24 hours of theory and 24 hours of driving in accordance with the attached schedule
There will be one physical car with up to seven different road groups depending on enrollment. Each road group contains four students and will be on the road for at least 16 sessions. Each session lasts 60 or 90 minutes for a total of 24 hours. Road group selection will be made at time of registration. There are 16 theory classes scheduled for a total of 24 hours. ALL students must attend ALL theory classes.
Driver Education Attendance Policy: New York State requires 24 hours of classroom instruction, 18 hours of road observation and six hours of wheel time before a MV-285 certificate can be issued. Students need to be present for every class and their car times on the calendar to receive their certificate. In the event of class or car being canceled by the instructor the class or car will be made up at a later date before the close of the semester at the school’s expense. The instructor will contact parents by phone regarding the cancellation. If a student misses class or car for any other reason, a make up class will need to be scheduled with the instructor. There is an additional fee for make up classes. The fee is $20 per make-up session per student. With one student the the minimum make-up fee is $40 per class. A student must make up their missed class or classes before the close of the semester in which the program started per NYS law. If a student does not make up the classes before the end of the semester the program certificate and fee are forfeit.
There are 24 seats available in the 1st and 2nd semester sessions. There are 20 seats available for each of the two summer sessions. Registration for each session will open at the announced date and time. Once there are the maximum number of registrations completed online, the registration period will close. Car assignments will be filled by lottery and a confirmation email sent.
- Complete the online registration form
- Payment is due at the time of registration. There will be 3% service fee for all credit card transactions. If you do not wish to pay the service fee, checks should be dropped off to the Academics Office prior to the registration opening date. Registrations are not considered complete without payment.
- Online Payment of $520. Refunds will be issued if notified within three days of receipt of Confirmation Letter.
- Must be able to commit to all scheduled theory classes and car driving schedule (Please read the complete schedule very carefully)
- There will be no refunds one week prior to the start of the session unless the class is canceled.
Fall 2018 First Semester Session
The first semester session runs from September through January (about 11 weeks). Classes run Monday through Saturday. Theory classes are held Saturday mornings. Driving sessions are one day per week after school or Saturday mornings. Car numbers designate which days and times the car goes out. Please read the complete schedule thoroughly.
First Semester Session – Saturday, September 8, 2018 through Monday, January 21, 2019
Payment is due at the time of registration. There will be 3% service fee for all credit card transactions. If you do not wish to pay the service fee, checks should be dropped off to the Academics Office prior to the registration opening date. Registrations are not considered complete without payment.
CLICK HERE for a PDF of the Car and Class Schedule