December 2022 Newsletter
The McQuaid PA wishes everyone a peaceful and hopeful holiday season.
We are deep into the first semester, and the boys are working hard at studies, sports and trying to outdo one another with ridiculous Christmas blazers. Our community was able to collect over 14,000 pounds of food for Monroe County Foodlink. Thanks to everyone for the donations. Even though the Great Ignatian Challenge is ending, donations are still being taken at Foodlink.
Please take time to think of all our blessings, and consider ways to share those blessings with your neighbors. Our students will see that this is the season of giving.
Read further to learn about ways McQuaid will celebrate the season.
HERE is the 2022-23 calendar.
SAVE THE DATES
First Friday Mass – Friday, December 2, 7:30 a.m.
Join your son(s) for Mass at 7:30 am each Friday in the Chapel. The daily Mass held the first Friday of every month will be the Friday Family Mass and we hope to see you there! Donuts and coffee will follow.
McQuaid Christmas Coffee House – Friday, December 9, 7 p.m.
Merry Christmas! Bring in the Christmas season with McQuaid Jesuit’s Coffee House. Several students will be performing music from the season in our Wegman Center Atrium. Fun activites are planned include a photo area, an ugly sweater contest, and more! Come support our talented Knights, with special guests, while enjoying refreshments and holiday cheer.
Advent Liturgy Reception – Friday, December 16, 8:30 a.m.
Parents’ Association will host a reception in Keenan Hall for the Class of 2023, and their parents only, following the Advent Liturgy. Your contribution is greatly appreciated. Click here to sign up to volunteer and bring something for the reception.
Christmas Eve Mass – Saturday, December 24, 4 p.m.
Christmas Eve Mass will be offered at 4 p.m. in the John H. Ryan, Jr. Gym. We hope you can join us for the return of this McQuaid tradition. All family members are welcome!
Parent’s Weekend is Back!
Mother Son Dance aka Mom Prom 2022 – Friday, January 27, 6:30-11 p.m.
Attention high school moms! Enjoy an evening of dinner and dancing with your son at the 2022 Mom Prom! This year’s event will be held at the Doubletree Inn in Henrietta. Tickets are $50 each and include dinner, dancing, dessert, soda & water (cash bar). Please click here to register early for this much loved and well attended event as it will sell out. When registering, please submit your favorite photo of you and your son – any age, any stage! Senior moms, please share two photos – your favorite over time and a current one of you and your son. Photos will be displayed at the event. We can’t wait to see you!
Father Son Mass and Breakfast – Sunday, January 29, 9 a.m.
Calling all father, grandfathers, uncles, and male role models! Join your McQ student(s) for our annual Father Son Mass and Breakfast on January 29 at McQuaid Jesuit. Following Mass in the Chapel, enjoy a delicious breakfast while tuning in for works of wisdom from our special guest speakers. Mark your calendars, register by clicking here, and we look forward to seeing you there!
Mothers for Others
Please use the Signup Genius to join us for upcoming events, and feel free to reach out to Allie Abbamonte with questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for new parents to join our team – all parents and guardians are part of the Parents’ Association and we would love to have your help. Keep up-to-date and informed by visiting our website HERE.
Volunteer for McQuaid Parents’ Association 2022-2023
All parents/guardians of McQuaid students are part of the McQuaid Parents’ Association. Our PA Executive Committee is continually planning for activities and you are invited to become involved. Share your time and talents by volunteering as little or as much fits your schedule. Check the “Parent” tab on the McQuaid website regularly for opportunities. If you have any ideas of how we can better serve you, please contact us at email@example.com. The hope is for our events calendar to be full again next year with in-person activities so we would love your help coordinating and promoting them. We would love you to join our team of volunteers!
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
Check out McQuaid’s Photo Galleries
Be sure to take a look at the photo galleries from recent McQuaid events, including Middle School Promotion, 2022 Row for Hope, Grandparents Day, and BASH.
You can view the galleries HERE.
A Big Thank You
Thank you to all of the parents/guardians and families of the McQuaid community that support our events and activities throughout the year. Without your participation our events cannot be successful. A BIG thank you to all of the parents/guardians, family members and friends of McQuaid that volunteer their time, talent or treasure to the Parents’ Association, your generosity is felt by our entire community.
SUPPORTING OUR COMMUNITY BY SHOPPING:
Please consider shopping at AmazonSmile to support McQuaid
How can online shopping with Amazon help McQuaid? AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices and services you know from Amazon.com. The difference is when you shop at AmazonSmile a percentage of the price of your eligible purchases is donated to the charitable organization of your choice. So help support McQuaid each time you shop by setting up smile.amazon.com as your Amazon home page. To designate “McQuaid Jesuit” as your charitable organization, login with your regular Amazon user id and password, click on “Accounts and Lists”, “Your Account”, and under “Other Programs” you will find “Change your Amazon Smile Charity”. Thanks for making this extra effort to support McQuaid!
Parents’ Association Board
|Co-Presidents||Molly Coons, P '23
Carolyn Gerstner, P '21, '23
|Vice-President||Robin Donlon, P '22, '25|
|Secretary||Allie Abbamonte, P '23
Cory Herrema, P '23, '24, '26
|Treasurer||Sheila Lecce, P '26
Jessica Patel, P '22, '24
|Director of Parent Relations||Heather Whiting, P '25, '28|
|Moderator||Fr. Phil Judge, S.J.|
PA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
I. Mission Statement:
The McQuaid Jesuit Parents’ Association supports our sons’ pursuit of excellence, service, and justice. To do so, the Association serves as a liaison between the school and its families in order to organize meaningful events that strengthen the McQuaid community.
- Organize activities which will promote the school’s mission and simultaneously strengthen bonds between McQuaid students, their families, and faculty/staff.
- Continue to organize and improve programs/events that are established McQuaid traditions.
- Develop new and meaningful programs/events that are in keeping with the school’s mission, the needs of parents and students, and the current cultural climate.
- Serve as a conduit for open communication between parents and staff. But the PA does not, it is important to note, serve as a complaint board. The overarching purpose of the PA is to be a positive and enriching presence within the greater McQuaid community. Grievances should be directed to and will be addressed via email correspondence with one of the Officers or appropriate Standing Committee chairperson(s).
- Every parent and/or legal guardian of a McQuaid student is considered to be a member of the Parents’ Association.
- Every parent and/or legal guardian of a McQuaid student may be nominated for and hold an Officer position.
- There are no dues for membership.
IV. Governance Structure:
- The current governing structure of the PA consists of the Executive Committee, which is comprised of the following officers: President and/or Co-Presidents, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- The PA Executive Committee will have two administrative Advisors (typically the President and Principal) who sit on the board and work closely with the PA to ensure consensus between the PA and administration, as well as between the PA and faculty/staff.
- The PA moderator (appointed by the president of McQuaid) oversees all General PA meetings held throughout the year.
- The Executive Committee serves and governs the PA as a whole.
- Officers serve a term of two years, unless there are extenuating circumstances which require an officer to step down from his/her position. After an Officer’s term has expired, new candidates must be considered for the position, and if necessary, a vote shall be held. If there are no new candidates for said position, the incumbent may serve for one additional year, but not a full term.
- Former officers may run for another officer position within the Executive Committee, but this is not encouraged, as the PA should give as many McQuaid parents as is possible the ability to serve on the Executive Committee.
- With respect to the previous points, officers are encouraged to seek out suitable candidates to replace them when their term is complete.
- Duties of the Officers: The PA officers will be expected to perform the following specific duties to the best of their abilities.
- Duties of the Presidents/Co-Presidents:
- Preside over Executive Board meetings and PA meetings.
- Serve as point of email and verbal contact between the PA and the Moderators, as well as administration/faculty, working closely with them to achieve the school’s mission and the PA’s goals as set forth each school year.
- Oversee and streamline content of PA website and monthly PA newsletter.
- Develop and solicit ideas to improve the PA’s events and McQuaid traditions.
- Ascertain that all Standing Committees are chaired, and all events are duly chaired/organized/staffed/executed.
- Determine Agenda(s) for all PA meetings and provide to Secretary in advance.
- Serve as a sponsor(s) of select Standing Committees.
- Manage PA Supply Closet and Inventory.
- Duties of the Vice President:
- Preside over Executive Committee and PA meetings when President/Co-Presidents are absent.
- Assist President/Co-Presidents in all duties.
- Give input/advice regarding meeting agendas.
- Serve as a sponsor(s) of a select Standing Committee.
- Duties of the Treasurer:
- Give a summary of all PA income and expenses at the start of each PA meeting.
- Serve as point of email and verbal contact between PA and McQuaid Treasurer about expenditures and revenue.
- Keep documentation of all PA receipts and expense reports.
- Keep Executive Committee apprised of viable financing for proposed events.
- Communicate with appropriate chairpersons of both Standing Committees and events when needed.
- Serve as a sponsor(s) of select Standing Committees.
- Duties of the Secretary:
- Record the minutes of all Executive Committee and PA meetings. Send electronic copies of these minutes to Officers and Advisors following each meeting. Upload PA meeting minutes to PA website.
- Upload agenda to PA website prior to meeting. Also have hard copies of PA agenda prepared for distribution at meeting.
- Serve as a sponsor(s) of a select Standing Committee.
- Duties of the Advisors:
- Attend Executive Committee meetings at least bi-monthly. Attend PA meetings when necessary to give relevant updates to the parent community.
- Advise PA on viability of proposed events and programs.
- Keep Executive Board apprised of faculty/staff feedback regarding PA events and programs, helping to strengthen the relationship between parents and faculty/staff.
- Appoint appropriate internal faculty/administrative liaisons to each of the Standing Committees.
- Advise PA on correct faculty/staff point people for events/programs.
- Duties of the Presidents/Co-Presidents:
VI. Standing Committees:
There are seven (7) Standing Committees, each of which is presently sponsored by a PA officer. The committees are as follows: Social Events, Hospitality, Service, Spiritual, Education, Co-Ed Social Events for Students, and Communications.
- The chairperson(s) of each committee is solicited from the members of the PA, and has the following duties:
- The chairperson(s) of each committee organizes and attends their designated events, soliciting and directing committee members/volunteers as appropriate.
- The chairperson(s) is expected to communicate with their Standing Committee sponsor about general plans for each event.
- The chairperson(s) will report back to their Standing Committee sponsor after each event with attendance, outcome, and ways to improve the event for the next year.
- The chairperson(s) is expected to fill out an event summary sheet with the above information, and submit an electronic copy to both their Standing Committee sponsor and the PA secretary.
- The chairperson(s) should submit all receipts for their event to the McQuaid Treasurer, as well as inform the PA treasurer about expenditures and revenue, when applicable.
- The mission and duties of the Standing Committees are as follows:
- Social Events: The primary responsibility of this committee is to oversee the signature Social Events within the McQuaid Jesuit Community, such as Mother’s Tea, Wine & Beer Party, Teacher Appreciation Luncheon, Mom Prom, and Father/Son Ballgame.
- Hospitality: The primary responsibilities of this committee are to oversee and support all Hospitality (Open House, Advent Liturgy etc.) & Misc. Events (Administrative Professionals Day, Prospective Student Basketball Game) for the McQuaid Jesuit Community.
- Service: The primary responsibility of this committee is to oversee Mothers for Others, as well as other PA service programs, such as My Brother’s Closet, etc.
- Spiritual: The primary responsibility of this committee is to develop and organize spiritual events for the McQuaid community (Outdoor Welcome Liturgy, Advent Mother/Son Prayer Service, Father/Son Mass and Brunch, etc).
- Education: The primary responsibilities of this committee are to arrange speakers for PA meetings, serve as PA representation at school events such as New Parent Orientations, and run the Barnes & Noble book fair.
- Coed Social Events for Students: The primary responsibility of this committee is to work closely with the administration, staff, Executive Council and Class Officers to develop events/activities that give McQuaid students the opportunity to interact with young women.
- Communication: The primary responsibility of this committee is to manage all PA communication, including but not limited to the website, correspondence to parents/faculty/staff in times of difficulty or bereavement, overseeing the Parent Ambassador program, and more.
There are three types of PA meetings: Executive Board/Executive Committee Meetings, Parents Association Meetings, and Standing Committee Meetings.
- The Executive Board/Committee shall meet approximately one time per month throughout the year. These meetings are generally closed, but guests and Standing Committee chairpersons may be invited to sit in and collaborate. The advisors will ideally attend every other month, as determined by their schedule.
- The Parents Association shall meet five times over the course of the school year. These dates and times will be noted on the school calendar and PA website. These meetings are open to all members, faculty, and administration.
- Standing Committees are encouraged to meet at least once per semester, to assure that all committee members are on the same page about upcoming events. Chairpersons may invite guests at their discretion. Chairpersons are also encouraged to include the Committee sponsor and internal liaisons, but it is not necessary if lines of communication remain open.
VIII. Amendments to the Constitution:
- The PA Constitution must be reviewed by the Executive Committee every three years. The amended sections and/or document as a whole must be re-adopted by means of a vote at the next PA meeting.
- Amendments should be submitted to the PA Advisors for approval at least 30 days prior to the vote.
- Amendments may be passed by a vote of two-thirds of those present at said PA meeting. (Given the typically low numbers of parents present at any PA meeting, there is no set quorum.)